- All applicants apply to projects that are jointly specified by a supervisor from IITB and Monash (could also involve industry)
- Intakes take place twice a year commencing March until May; commencing August until December (for more details see Intake flow chart)
- Completed students are treated as normal IITB completions
- Application process is managed through an online recruitment portal – ‘AFORS’
- System manages supervisor, and HoD approvals online
- Manages entire selection process from Expression of Interest to acceptance of student
Coursework/Develop Research Plan
- Students undertake coursework for either 6 months (typically M.Tech, MA/MS, MPhil) or 12 months (typically B.Tech)
- Literature search commences
- Funding support provided to students for 3 years after coursework,
- Application required for extension of scholarship and candidature.
- Students must obtain a CPI of at least 8.0 to be confirmed in the program
- One Annual Progress Seminar (APS) and written report and presentation provided each year to assess progress
- APS is assessed by supervisors and Research Progress Committee (RPC) members
- RPC is defined at the commencement of the collaboration. The RPC includes IITB supervisor(s), Monash supervisor(s), one member from IITB and one other member from Monash
- APS and RPC manage poor performance
- Establish timelines, ongoing communication via Skype
- Conduct meetings and involvement in departmental activities
- Encourage publication/patenting and co-authorship/co-inventorship with students
- Thesis preparation and presentation.
- Occurs when this is suitable for the project as decided by both supervisors
- The student will be at Monash for minimum 12 months.
- Oral presentation to pre-synopsis committee, extended abstract submitted
- Candidate has four months to submit thesis and the full synopsis.
Nomination and selection of examiners
- Supervisors nominate 4 confirmed external examiners and the names of two chairs of the Viva Voce committee
- Management of the examinations process rotates between Monash and IITB each year
Submission of Thesis and Synopsis
- Thesis submitted with synopsis (1000-4000 words)
- Requires at least 2 papers published/accepted for publication in recognized refereed journals or in proceedings highly rated conferences
- 6 weeks from receipt of synopsis and thesis.
Viva Voce examination
- Candidate is required to defend work via a Viva Voce examination conducted by Examiners
- For additional details, see the Monash IITB Joint PhD Program Thesis Examination Process